Week 1 of any renovaton is the exciting week — all progress is dramatic, and we’re still in a good mood ! In Week 2, the excitement has worn off just a little — the progress is less dramatic, and problems start to crop up.
Bye bye, popcorn! The week starts with the scraping of our stucco ceilings.
This was also ‘drywall week’ — lots of taping and mudding.
All that taping and sanding calls for plastic drapery — supposedly to keep the dust out of the areas not under renovation.
Even a chandelier that we’re NOT keeping is sporting plastic.
Unfortunately, carpet that we ARE keeping is receiving no such consideration.
A house full of wet mud, compounded by humid weather, means that this humidifier has become a constant ‘hum’ in the background for a few days. Sadly, what it takes away from the humidex, it makes up for in temperature — it pumps out heat at an alarming rate. It’s 40 degrees celsius outside, and 50 degrees inside!
First problem of the week — why the heck is this bulkhead constructed this way, and can it be cut?
The beam is confirmed to be non-supporting and we finally get to see the opening raised to mimic the higher kitchen arch.
We made progress on electrical in Week 2, as all the holes will attest.
Unfortunately, some of the ‘progress’ was incorrect. My 2 kitchen potlights — the holes furthest away — were randomly positioned to suit the electrician. Why didn’t someone just ask me where I wanted them??
The potlights were ultimately put right, or as close as we can get given the position of the roof beams above the kitchen. The idea is to have them light up the pantry pullouts on the left and right of the far wall, and NOT my huge fridge and freezer in the center of the wall.
Moving the dining room chandelier connection should have been the simplest of all the lighting changes. The wall moved 20″ out, so the fixture needed to move 10″ out to stay centred in the room. No one said anything about moving it in 2 directions! The square hole is where it used to be; the round hole is where the electrician moved it; the ‘x’ is where we wanted it. Hmmmm! (In all fairness, we only added the ‘x’ after we realized that the obvious wasn’t obvious.
All challenges aside, we are finally seeing our vision take shape. You may see unfinished drywall, and plywood and dust, but I see my new gray cabinets, my Miele dishwasher, a bronze light fixture, and my peninsula. I see why it’s all going to be worthwhile!
Week 2 Menu Update:
We continue to eat well in spite of the circumstances. I now joke that I didn’t need to order a new stove, since we can live with a slow cooker and a hot plate. (My husband isn’t sure I’m joking!) This week’s highlights included Puttanesca Pasta Sauce, Cranberry-Glazed Turkey Meatloaf (no power outage this time!), Midweek Meatballs in Tomato Sauce, Sweet Chili Pork Meatloaf (gone in 60 seconds!), and — ta da! — Banana Date Bread.
No it doesn’t look like a regular banana loaf, nor does it come out of the pan quite as easily as the traditional kind, but it tastes delish!
Can’t wait for Week 3 results, including new hardwood flooring…..