Progress Report: Week 3 — Here comes trouble!

A friend remarked this week that  I was the coolest and calmest person she had ever seen go through renovations. The fact that she said this in the midst of a week that (finally) brought some angst, is thanks to my clients.  I have lived vicariously through their renovations for 20 years, so it’s kind of like I’ve been renovating for 20 years.  That’s not to say that I don’t become ‘mildly annoyed’ by delays.

Week 3 was to be the week that we finally stopped tearing out and making a mess, and started putting things back together, with finishing touches like moldings and flooring.  We were supposed to be getting ready to paint in Week 4.  But things don’t always go according to plan….

The week started out with promise -- crown molding went up. We're loving it!

The week started out with promise — crown molding went up. We’re loving it!

Arches and doorways began to receive moldings.  We are beyond excited to see these 2 arches more balanced in width, and higher.

Arches and doorways began to receive moldings. We are beyond excited to see these 2 arches more balanced in width, and higher.  Apparently, the underlying beam on the living room arch is warped, necessitating the large ‘clamp’ on our new casing.

We did discover one little hitch with our newly framed arches -- how do we paint in that teeny, tiny little gap between door frames??

We did discover one little hitch with our newly framed arches — how do we paint in that teeny, tiny little gap between door frames??

 

The pile of moldings in my living room are proof of our contractor's good intentions.

The pile of moldings in my living room are proof of our contractor’s good intentions and plans for the week.

This pile of flooring should be a sign of imminent installation.

This pile of flooring should be a sign of imminent installation.

The problem started with the weather — extreme heat and humidity outside creates very hot conditions on the main floor of our house, where the flooring is to be installed.  The heat and humidity are mitigated by the air conditioning on the main level, but that has little impact on this space in the basement.  In fact, there is a 12 degree temperature difference, and a huge humidity difference, between this space and the main floor.  Hardwood flooring needs to acclimatize in the space in which it’s to be installed.  When the flooring was brought into the house, it was to be placed on the main floor.  When there wasn’t a clean space for this to happen, it was loaded into the only clean, empty space in the house — our former ‘cold room’.  This was Monday evening.

On Tuesday, I decided to check with my flooring supplier to see if they were happy with the conditions in which our flooring was being acclimatized.  The answer was no, so on Wednesday morning, I had to inform my general contractor that I wanted the flooring brought upstairs and opened up.  This brought work to a screeching halt, as this was the day that flooring installation was to begin.  They promised to come back around noon the next day, but they were no-shows.  Perhaps this was punishment for disagreeing with our contractors assessment that the flooring could acclimatize in my basement?   I’ve never agreed with homeowners and clients who let their contractors dictate how they do things, or how they don’t do things, but I will admit that it’s not easy to tell a crew what they don’t want to hear.  However, the alternative is lost sleep and needless worry, and possibly future flooring problems, so I did what needed to be done.

When we returned to the house on Wednesday, our flooring had been moved to the main floor and opened up to properly acclimatize.

When we returned to the house on Wednesday, our flooring had been moved to the main floor and opened up to properly acclimatize.   It stayed there until Friday, when our crew finally ‘blessed’ us with their presence. 

On Friday, flooring installation finally began.  It called for self-leveling cement to compensate for poor building practices in our kitchen.

On Friday, flooring installation finally began.  Our existing, sub-par sub-floor had been reinforced with additional plywood, and self-leveling cement had been used to compensate for poor building practices in our kitchen.

Hello gorgeous new floor!   It's great to see you here.

Hello gorgeous new floor! It’s great to see you here.

Unfortunately, the flooring couldn't be completed in one day, and our contractors were again no-shows on Saturday.

This kitchen isn’t quite ready for ‘prime’ time. 

The contractors made a good start on the flooring on Friday, and promised to return on Saturday.  Unfortunately, they were no-shows — again! — leaving us with a half-floored kitchen.  In order to keep to the painting schedule — and to have the kitchen ready for cabinetry in a week — we moved everything out so we could prime the ceiling and walls over the weekend.

Hopefully, Week 4 will bring less drama and more finishing.  The cabinetry is coming in Week 5, no matter what!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s