Week 5 has been HUGE — we are finally able to catch a glimpse of the finished product, inside and out. Inside, we’ve been pushing ourselves and everyone else to have everything ready for cabinet installation, which was scheduled the day we signed the contract with Kitchen Court.
We’ve taken it upon ourselves to do at least some of our own painting. We started by priming the kitchen, living/dining area, and front hall.
Before cabinets could be installed the kitchen needed to be painted. Here’s a shot of the ceiling — we are loving the blue-gray ceiling colour!
There aren’t many painted walls in our new kitchen, but this will be the colour of those that are painted.
On the appointed day, the kitchen cabinets arrived, and installation began. This is the view that greeted me as I arrived home at the end of the day.
That big gap in the middle is for my new built-in fridge and freezer combination.
Dishwasher, sink, garbage pullout — the window wall is a busy one! And don’t we love the bookcase!!
The view from the front hall is even better on Day 2. We have 2 vent plates in the kickplate of the peninsula — one for heat, the other for our home alarm. (Our alarm box lost its home in the reno, so we had to find a new one. This seemed like the best place for it.)
At the end of Day 2, they’ve installed everything that can be installed. There are some missing doors (1 is backordered, the others were ordered incorrectly), and the platform for our range has been forgotten. Now we wait a few more weeks for the finishing installation.
We are thrilled with the how the colours are coming together on floors, cabinets, walls and ceiling. Can’t wait to see how the wall tile pulls it all together!
While the kitchen was being installed inside, the exterior makeover was kicking into high gear. In fact, we may have goofed with the scheduling — on Day 1, both the siding guys and the kitchen installers laid claim to the driveway, so my husband had to mediate to keep everyone happy.
Before the new siding can go on, the ugly old siding and front shingles have to come off. What a mess! Do not leave your windows open for this step (like I did!) — your sills will be full of dirt. It was so loud and so messy that we presented both of our neighbours with gift cards from Tim’s, as an apology.
Progress is quick on the exterior — if only the rain would stop.
Finally, we get to see the transformation from all shingles to board and batten on the mansard portion of the front.
We’re impressed with the details, like how they frame around the windows, or any other obstacles.
The siding is scheduled to be an 8 day project. We have to wait until next week to see the porch and garage door areas completely trimmed out. And the shutters can’t be ordered until this stage, in order to get the right size for the new openings that have been created around our windows.
The exterior is looking great. Now if only we could get Rogers to send out a crew to bury their cable, which has been strung from tree to tree, and across our front yard to the house. It was originally tucked into our eaves troughs, but they have moved to the top of the house, so the cable now runs across our garage door, waiting to strangle anyone who dares to enter.
At the end of Week 5, we had planned to take the Friday off, as part of a long weekend, in order to get started on painting. On Thursday afternoon, our contractor called to say he was sending someone to finish putting filler in the crown and other moldings, so we could paint. Since he couldn’t make it himself, and he knew we were on a schedule, he arranged for two professional painters to arrive at our home on Friday, to do the filling, and to paint for half a day. What a gift! Thankfully, we had already primed all the walls and ceiling, so we didn’t have to waste their talents on priming.
I could kiss the painters for getting the ceiling and crown completely, and perfectly, painted in the largest area, as well as getting the first coat on the walls. They saved us so much time, that we were able to finish the bulk of our painting that weekend.
Week 5 ended with the templating for our quartz countertops. Gary and Joe, from On-Centre Templating Services were knowledgeable and entertaining, and they have the coolest toys with lasers.
We ended Week 5 with measurements for our new countertops. Unfortunately, the sink we purchased may be too large — it’s too bad no one gave us a heads-up on the maximum size we could fit into a stone countertop. Looks like we’ll be re-selecting and trying to get a rush delivery.
Up Next Week: finishing touches for the exterior, completion of electrical work, installation of interior doors and stair railings. It’s time to start thinking about finishing touches and decorating — my favourite part!