We started Week 6 with high hopes of getting our lighting installed. After all, we had worked hard to get the walls and ceilings painted to prepare for it! Given our previous experiences with our contractors’s electrician — and other electricians on previous projects — we should have known this wouldn’t be so simple.
The electrician arrived late afternoon on the appointed day, about 4 hours later than we had been told to expect him. He assured us that he had only a few hours of work to do. After a few hours, he still hadn’t finished, so he asked to come back the next day. We asked that he do so by 8:00 am, so he wouldn’t make us late for work. Next morning, he showed up bright and early and got to work. We showed him where the fixtures belonged, and gave directions for the height of each. Then we went to work, looking forward to finally having more light. Yes, we did have more light at the end of the day, but we also had this:
Since my home looked as if the electrician had rushed out in the middle of the job (because he had!) I called my contractor to find out when the electrician was coming back. Clever man — he had the electrician call me directly. The answer: 2 to 3 weeks! He was heading out for vacation, and didn’t have any more time for our project. Since he had to come back anyway to finish our undercabinet lighting (our kitchen installer neglected to ask whether we were using strips (yup!) or pucks (nope!), and drilled holes for pucks instead of strips.), the electrician had decided to leave everything until then. I asked if there were problems with the fixtures that we had purchased, in case I needed to return them. The answer was ‘no’, the fixtures were fine and could be straightened, although he ‘had done his best’ to hang them properly. Really!? Might be time for a new line of work, then….
Rather than wait in the dark for the electrician to come back — thus risking further damage to my freshly painted ceilings — we decided to fix up what he had done, and hang the remaining fixtures ourselves. (Shhhh! Don’t rat us out — hubby can connect the wires himself, although we would never tackle anything more complex than that.) This was in addition to the work we had already scheduled to prepare for the installation of doors and railings. Luckily, our Saturday plans were cancelled by the other family we were supposed to meet, so we had a free day. Oh boy! Another lost weekend….
After a very tiring weekend, we were back on track, at least outside the kitchen. We also found out this week that our sink was indeed too large for the counterop, and we had to reselect and reorder as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, our countertop fabricator’s production manager left on vacation this past weekend without our new sink template being delivered to the shop. In spite of our best efforts to get it here, the sink was not delivered with the other pieces on Friday. We’re not sure if this will hold up the fabrication of the countertops or not. And the Tasco folks wonder why I can’t commit to a delivery date for the appliances!
Week 7 promises to be a quiet one — maybe I will finally make some progress on the decorating!